Course title in Estonian
ELU - Erialasid Lõimiv Uuendus
Course title in English
LIFE - Learning in Interdisciplinary Focused Environment
approximate amount of contact lessons
autumn - spring
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The purpose of LIFE course is to support the development of generic competences and thereby increase the development of competences necessary for resolving interdisciplinary problems.
Brief description of the course
Learning activities take place in teams consisting of 6-8 students. The project team must include students from at least three different study areas. Up to three teams, consisting of 6-8 students, can join one project.
Within LIFE course, projects are carried out in cooperation with the supervisor(s) and students, and they include the following components: defining a common topic or problem, setting goals, creating an action plan and carrying out the plan as intended.
Participation in LIFE course is supported by workshops and seminars intended for students.
More detailed information about the course is available at elu.tlu.ee.
1. Creating LIFE project plan with the team members;
2. Filling out LIFE mid-term report with the team members (by intermediate week);
3. Participating in the feedback session during intermediate week;
4. Writing a self-reflective report about one’s role as a team member and about others’ responsibilities in project work (present individually to supervisor).
5. Making a LIFE project portfolio consisting of the project report, action plan, media coverage and project evaluation.
6. Participating in LIFE projects’ presentation day and presenting the results of the activities carried out within the team.
In order to complete the independent work, students are required to participate actively in meetings arranged within the project and to fulfill the commitments made to the team.
Learning outcomes in the course
• can make connections and can analyse the goals of the project and their possible solutions from the perspective of one’s own as well as that of other fields;
• can use professional and cross-disciplinary knowledge newly acquired during the project and can identify their application potential;
• has knowledge and skills of applying principles of teamwork, including the division of roles, taking responsibility and contribution to group work and has acquired time management skills;
• can analyse the performance and effectiveness of the project by critically assessing one’s own activities and suggesting improvement measures;
• can analyse his/her own, as well as team members’, role and responsibilities when implementing the activities and goals of the project;
• can introduce the project results to stakeholders and/or public by using different media channels
The assessment of the LIFE course is based on the analysis of individual self-reflective reports and the observations about the project as a process made by the supervisor.
The course is a prerequisite
ELU ülõpilase ABC
Kursuse vastutava õppejõu poolt antud projektitöö, ettevõtlikkuse, meeskonnatöö ning erialane kirjandus.
Literature about project work, entrepreneurship, teamwork and speciality-specific literature.
LIFE course related information is sent to the student’s e-mail that is registered at LIFE website from firstname.lastname@example.org.
The student who has joined the LIFE course will be sent an e-mail invitation to join a Moodle course, intended for all students, “YID6001.YM ELU õppeaine õpikeskkond 2019/2020 / LIFE course learning environment 2019/2020”, where:
• general information related to LIFE course is shared;
• LIFE course support materials can be found (the concept of LIFE, Student Guidelines, Guidelines for using project funds, guidelines for compulsory tasks);
• compulsory tasks are submitted;
• registration for workshops/seminars, feedback session during the intermediate week and LIFE projects’ presentation day takes place
For more detailed information send an email to LIFE coordinator email@example.com.
Ei ole võimalik kirjanduse alusel läbida.
Course cannot be passed without active participation in teamwork