Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
Kultuuriteooria ja filosoofia
study programme title in Engl.
Cultural Theory and Philosophy
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Humanitaaria, mujal liigitamata
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bakalaureusekraad or an equivalent level of qualification. Admission is based on the results of the vocational aptitude exam.
humanitaarteaduse magister (kultuuriteooria)
Study programme aims and objectives
- Create opportunities to gain thorough knowledge of the different disciplines that study cultures and develop the skills to use this knowledge in practice;
- Create opportunities for students with a bachelors degree in cultural theory to deepen their knowledge of contemporary cultural theory;
- Create opportunities for students with bachelor degrees from other fields of humanities or arts to continue their studies in cultural theory;
- Create opportunities for successful students to proceed their academic work on a doctorate level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has thorough knowledge of the most important courses, concepts, methods and their practice in contemporary disciplines of cultural theory show more...
- is able to apply contemporary methods of cultural theory to solve cultural problems and to analyse cultural environments
- is able to compose research projects and write scientific articles in the subject field
- is able to analyse differences among cultures and tolerance towards them
- is able to identify one's needs for further studies and professional development
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master´s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits