Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
LT - School of Natural Sciences and Health
Study programme title in Est.
Gümnaasiumi loodusteaduslike ainete õpetaja
study programme title in Engl.
Teacher of Natural Sciences in Secondary School
Language of instruction
Study programme group
teacher training and educational science
Study programme subgroup
en: Aineõpetajate koolitus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree in Natural Sciences, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification in Biology, show more...
Physics, Geoecology/ Geography, Chemistry or Biology, Physics, Geoecology/ Geography, Chemistry passed as a subsidiary (minor) subject in the minimum amount of 45 ECTS.
Study programme aims and objectives
- To promote the development of a scientifically based and exploratory approach to the teaching job and of the preparedness for constant professional self-education;
- To promote the development of the teaching competencies required for working as a teacher of Biology, Physics, Geography or Chemistry in primary and secondary level;
- To promote the shaping of subject-based competencies required from a primary or secondary school teacher of Biology, Physics, Geography or Chemistry, who has a high level of environmental awareness and an integrative grasp of science;
- To create the preconditions for further studies at doctoral level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- knows the basic concepts, theories and research methods of general, show more...
field and subject didactics, distinguishes among different educational paradigms and is able to critically assess the possibilities of their application
- is able to make interdisciplinary connections between pedagogical-psychological and specific field-related knowledge
- acts according to professional and ethical standards, participates in civil society
- is capable of planning and managing of the teaching process, designing of the learning environment, guiding the learning process and supporting learning motivation
- is capable of teamwork, also as a team leader involving different partners, such as learners, colleagues, other participants in the educational system
- is able to use different teaching and scientific methods as well as educational technology tools in teaching and learning the subject, in analysis and design of the learning environment and in evaluation of the learners' development, knows different methods for passing on knowledge
- is able to demonstrate through independent research deeper knowledge of educational studies and teacher training in the subject both in Estonian and in the language commonly used in the field of study
- knows how to integrate different subject-based topics with other subjects taught at schools of general education, is able to find associations of fresh expertise with school curriculum and the topics taught, and with everyday life
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. During the studies, students are required to pass at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits
teacher training courses