Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
languages and cultures
Study programme subgroup
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelors degree or an equivalent level of qualification. English B2 level.
Study programme aims and objectives
- Provide opportunities to gain broad-based knowledge of Estonian language, culture, history and society;
- Provide opportunities to become acquainted with Estonian culture and society in a regional and general context;
- Provide opportunities to gain skills to interpret Estonian culture and society in global context;
- Create opportunities to learn Estonian and to enhance language skills;
- Provide pre-requisites for being able to translate Estonian literature into foreign languages;
- Support the development of competences of being able to take initiatives, being responsible and ethical in subject related activities and to give arguments in support of subject related problems and opinions presented both in academic and non-academic contexts;
- Enhance the development of skills to continuously develop and learn in subject related contexts;
- Provide pre-requisites to continue studies and work both in Estonia and in the international environment.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has acquired a systematic and broad knowledge about Estonian language, culture, history and society show more...
- is able to relate Estonian culture and Estonian society within a regional and global context
- has the ability to use acquired knowledge in creative and analytical textual treatments
- is able to see relations between different fields of culture and cultural and societal processes
- has acquired the ability to understand and compose texts in Estonian and to express one’s viewpoints in Estonian corresponding to one’s level of language skills
- has acquired the prerequisites for translating works of Estonian literature
- is able to present convincingly his/her knowledge, results of research and analyses both in writing and orally
- possesses competency of initiative, responsible and ethical professional activities; possesses the capability for self-analyses and is able to develop professionally continuously and learn independently
- is capable to employ acquired skills and competency in Estonian Studies both in Estonia and abroad: is able to continue studies at doctoral level
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume and defending the Master’s thesis. show more...
Estonian language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond at least to B1 level.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits