Study programme code
Head of study programme
Triin van Doorslaer
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
languages and cultures
Study programme subgroup
Nominal study period (in semesters)
BA degree or an equivalent level of qualification; high level writing skills in Estonian and analytical skills (C1 level Estonian for non-Estonian mother tongue); B2 level English. show more...
Admission is based on the results of the vocational aptitude exam.
humanitaarteaduse magister (kirjalik tõlge)
Study programme aims and objectives
- Create opportunities to achieve professional competencies and knowledge in working as professional translator in different institutions, show more...
international organisations and private companies;
- Raise translators reputation in society and improve the quality of translations;
- Create opportunities for lifelong learning.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has theoretical knowledge and practical skills, is capable of working for the various international and national institutions, can provide high quality translation services show more...
- is capable of assessing his or her own need for continuous self-development, in the form of lifelong learning or doctoral studies
- is capable of implementing gained knowledge and skills in a systematic but flexible way, has knowledge of the essence of translation, the translation market and translation ethics
- is proactive and capable of working independently as well as part of a team
- knows how to plan and manage a translation project and assess the outcomes of a translation project
- is capable of criticising the work of another translator and substantiating his or her claims about the suitability of particular translation solutions
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits