Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Ajalugu ja arheoloogia
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification. show more...
Admission is based on the results of the vocational aptitude exam.
humanitaarteaduse magister (ajalugu)
Study programme aims and objectives
- Provide the basis for advanced studies in History writing, Art History writing and/or Archaeology;
- Create the preconditions for continuing doctoral studies in the field of humanities.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- possesses comprehensive knowledge concerning the theories, research fields and methods of history, visual culture or archaeology show more...
- can identify and create connections through history and between different scientific fields
- is able to resolve issues related to history writing by using different ways of interpretation and different work methods
- is able to carry out, in their native language, a scientific research that corresponds to international requirements, and take part in discussions on the subject field (including in some foreign language)
- can supervise practical activities (archaeological fieldwork, Student Academy, etc), and assess their actions as a supervisor
- has a comprehensive attitude towards the diversity of understandings and values, and relies upon the scientific approach to historical research
- is able to participate in discussions on societal issues, demonstrating competent skills of self-expression and willingness to work in a team
- is able to use the acquired knowledge in professional life (as a historian, an archivist, an archaeologist or art historian) and is prepared to develop both at Doctoral level and in lifelong learning
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits