Study programme code
Study programme administrator
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
DT - School of Digital Technologies
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
journalism and information
Study programme subgroup
en: Raamatukogundus, teave, arhiivindus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education show more...
or a corresponding qualification
sotsiaalteaduse magister (infoteadus)
Study programme aims and objectives
To provide a comprehensive academic education in information science, show more...
develop competencies to work in various information and memory institutions (libraries, archives, information services, museums, etc) and in other areas requiring knowledge and skills in information science, and to create preconditions to continue the studies at Doctoral level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has systematic knowledge on the theories and methodology of information sciences show more...
- is able to analyse the social context of information sciences
- is qualified to carry on research work in the field of information science, librarianship and book studies
- possesses communication skills, can communicate with different target groups and take part in team work
- is able of critical and systematic thinking, to raise and to solve problems
- possesses the learning skills which are necessary for continuation of studies at doctoral level (e.g. the skill of self-analysis and ability to work independently)
- possesses the preconditions required to plan and manage the information work in information and memory institutions
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted between 2012/2013 and 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits