Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
Ajaloo ja ühiskonnaõpetuse õpetaja
study programme title in Engl.
Teacher of History and Civic
Language of instruction
Study programme group
teacher training and educational science
Study programme subgroup
en: Aineõpetajate koolitus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification. show more...
Admission is based on the results of the vocational aptitude exam.
haridusteaduse magister (ajaloo ja ühiskonnaõpetuse õpetaja)
Study programme aims and objectives
To develop the willingness to work as a teacher of history and show more...
civics who has science and researc based approach to his work and who is ready for continuous professional development, as well in doctoral level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has an overview of the basic terms, theories and research methods related to educational sciences, show more...
the subject field and the subject didactics, and of the educational development of the students
- has the knowledge and skills required for the profession of history and civics teacher both at basic education and gymnasium level, is familiar with the subject field trends and current issues, is ready to speak actively on educational issues and take part in civil society
- is able to plan and lead the learning process and shape the learning environment according to the individual needs of the students
- adheres to the professional and ethical requirements, is aware of the ethical and social aspects, the possibilities and limitations of the role as a history and civics teacher, and has a tolerant attitude towards the diversity of positive opinions and values
- creates and applies interdisciplinary connections between different historical periods, fields of social activity and subjects
- critically analyses ones own professional activity, plans future developments and is prepared to participate in scientific research, to be a creative pedagogue and developer of educational life, both nationally and internationally
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. During the studies, students are required to pass at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits
teacher training courses