Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
DT - School of Digital Technologies
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
journalism and information
Study programme subgroup
en: Raamatukogundus, teave, arhiivindus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education.
Study programme aims and objectives
- To create prerequisites for acquiring knowledge and skills on the organization and management of information services, database management and information seeking;
- To support the formation on competencies for the work in various collections of documental information (libraries, archives, information services, museums, etc.) and in other fields requiring knowledge on information science;
- To create preconditions for continuing the studies on Master level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- possesses systematic knowledge on the history, terminology and philosophic starting points of information and documental collections of data, show more...
on the theories and methodology of the field
- knows the types, functions, organisation and management of documental collections of data, has knowledge on different types of information resources and is able to organise information services
- is able to create and manage databases, is competent in searching for information, in establishing the information needs of the users and is able to critically analyse, select and evaluate information
- understands the role of information specialist as mediator of knowledge in the society
- is able to do research work in the field of information science, librarianship and book studies
- possesses communication skills, can communicate with different target groups and take part in team work
- is able to think critically and systematically, to raise and to solve problems
- knows how to choose the technologies and methods necessary for solving the tasks
- possesses the learning skills which are necessary for continuing the studies at Master´s level (is able to analyse oneself and work independently)
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Bachelor’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits