Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
Kirjandus-, visuaalkultuuri ja filmiteooria
study programme title in Engl.
Literature, Visual Culture and Film Studies
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
languages and cultures
Study programme subgroup
en: Humanitaaria ja kunsti interdistsiplinaarne õppekavarühm
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Admission requirements: bachelor degree or equivalent qualifications in humanities or social sciences. show more...
English B2 level.
Study programme aims and objectives
Provide opportunities to obtain enhanced knowledge on interdisciplinary research of literature, show more...
visual culture and film, of the related core terminology, theories and research methods.
Provide opportunities for acquiring enhanced knowledge and skills for comparative theoretical and historigraphical analysis of literature, visual culture and film in their inter-medial relationships.
Provide opportunities for gaining knowledge and skills for interdisciplinary research of cultural phenomena within the framework of culture as an entity (including the research of such challenges as the digitalisation of cultural heritage provides)
Provide support for developing of competences necessary for outlining a research challenge, choosing appropriate methods for resolving it, conducting independent research, doing self-reflection and for convincing presentation of research results both orally and in writing.
Support the development of competences necessary of taking initiative, being responsible and ethical in area related activities.
Support the development of competences necessary for introducing subject related issues and opinions in a well-argumented manner for both academic and non-academic circles.
Support the development of skills necessary for continuous subject related development and for continuous independent study.
Provide pre-requisites for continuing studies on PhD level and for conducting academic research (incl. internationally).
Provide pre-requisites to continue studies and work in an international environment.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- Has enhanced knowledge on interdisciplinary research of literature, visual culture and film, and the related terminology, theories and research methods show more...
- has knowledge and skills for comparative and historiographical analysis of literature, visual culture and film
- is able to interpret critically and in an interdisciplinary manner both texts and visual images, understand their inter-medial relations, co- and counter-influences; is able to observe and analyse the phenomena of art and culture from the point of culture as an entity; is able to recognise the connections between cultural phenomena and their development trends including those pertaining to the digitalisation of cultural heritage
- is able to raise research questions, choose appropriate research methods for interdisciplinary research of literature, visual culture and film; is able to assess the consequences and influence of these methodological choices
- is able to present convincingly one's knowledge, research and analysis results both orally and in writing
- has competences to take initiatives, to be responsible and ethically conscious in subject related activities; has self-reflection skills and is able to develop oneself constantly in subject related ares and conduct independent study
- is able to work as a cultural theoretician, critic, journalist, diplomat or advisor, assist teaching staff during lecture courses and to supervise practical assignments; is able to continue studies on PhD level
- is able to contribute to the civil society and cultural debate by competent and well-informed statements; is able to think critically and is tolerant towards diversity of attitudes and values
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits