Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
Keeleteadus ja keeletoimetamine
study programme title in Engl.
Linguistics and Language Editing
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
languages and cultures
Study programme subgroup
en: Kirjandus ja lingvistika
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification. show more...
Admission is based on the results of the vocational aptitude exam.
Study programme aims and objectives
To train specialists in linguistics with a focus on one of the languages/linguistic disciplines taught in the university, show more...
who would be able to continue their studies at PhD level or work as a researcher, instructor, writer and editor of language teaching materials, dictionaries etc.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has the ability to present and solve linguistic problems
- has an general understanding of the various subdisciplines of
linguistics and the theories and methods employed therein
- is able to evaluate the proofreading requirements of a text and is able to do such proofreading
- if the student has chosen the linguistics module and has decided to specialize in a particular language, the student possesses in-depth knowledge of the language in question
- is able to apply language management recommendations and
enable in practice better and more effective language use
- is able to explain and disseminate language use recommendations
- can present the results of his/her research both orally and in written form
- has completed independent research work that contributes new scientific knowledge in the discipline of his/her choice
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits