Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
Sotsiaalpedagoogika ja lastekaitse
study programme title in Engl.
Social Pedagogics and Child Protection
Language of instruction
Tervis ja heaolu
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Sotsiaaltöö ja nõustamine
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification. show more...
Passing the admission examination (interview). The admission examination demonstrates how well the candidate is aware of social problems, societal and cultural issues. Candidates submit to the institute before the interview (50% of admission examination) their CV and letter of motivation (50% admission examination). The minimum positive result of master studies admission examination is 70 points. The admission takes place on the bases of ranking that is formed according to the results of the admission examination
sotsiaalteaduse magister (sotsiaalpedagoogika ja lastekaitse)
Study programme aims and objectives
- create a systematic overview of the field on the basis of social pedagogue’s qualification standard;
- develop profound skills for connecting theoretical knowledge with the practice of social pedagogy and child protection;
- develop integrative skills for work with children and youth (i.e. enable acquiring of knowledge from related fields);
- form social pedagogy skills for noticing and solving the problems of children and youth at general education schools;
- create readiness for understanding the social background of school problems and for choosing on the basis of this preventative and/or rehabilitative methods;
- form competences for understanding and counselling of children and youth with adaptation, behavioural and learning difficulties and for supporting their ability to act and cope;
- deepen skills and knowledge for the possibilities of valuing hobby education and connect it with prevention work;
- develop scientific thinking by fostering the ability to analyse problems;
- form the attitudes and way of thinking that socio-pedagogical activities should be present throughout the life span;
- create preconditions for continuing studies at doctoral level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has systematic overview and in-depth knowledge about associations between human, institutions and society show more...
- is aware of developments, socio-pedagogical theories and methods, implementational options of child protection and youth work methods at school
- has knowledge about social problems in society and their emerging at school
- has councelling knowledge for working with parents and families with problems
- is able to analyze critically the problematic situations, existing risks and to evaluate children / families needs, ressources and to plan solution-focused actions
- is able to integrate the knowledge and skills with practice
- is aware of ethical considerations, options and limitations concerning the professional activity
- is able to analyze and implement argumentation associated with profession
- is able to accomplish founded professional assessments
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies. Since the admission of year 2016 students are required to pass during the studies at least one course which uses a foreign language as the language of instruction.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits