Study programme code
Study programme administrator
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Politics and Government
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Poliitikateadus ja kodanikuõpetus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education;
Estonian language state examination (Estonian school) or Estonian language as a second language state examination (60 points).
Entrance exam 75%.
Since 2018/19 academic year English on B2 level required.
Study programme aims and objectives
- Designing main competences in governmental sciences focusing on governance and political science, basic research skills;
- Enabling the students to acquire more in depth knowledge in the student’s chosen field of research: public administration, political science, public law, international relations, European studies, and project management, economy;
- Creating the prerequisites for continuing studies in political science and public administration on the MA level;
- Supporting the development of competences for working in jobs requiring knowledge of governance, public management and politics (specialists, mid-level management, advisors);
- Developing the skills for dealing with various target groups and specific governmental issues in a wider societal and cultural context;
- Developing the skills for defining the need for field-related growth.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- is familiar with the more important government science theories and methods, can define the central issues in the field show more...
- has basic research skills and specific skills for narrower issues
- will implement the acquired knowledge in field-related work, can plan and critically analyse their activities
- can explain government science issues to non-specialists and communicates their knowledge to target groups
- is familiar with field-related literature, can find the necessary information and can evaluate it critically
- can define their needs for development in the field
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Bachelor’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits