Study programme code
Study programme administrator
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Ajalugu ja arheoloogia
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education.
Admission is based on the results of national exams and the vocational aptitude exam.
Study programme aims and objectives
- Create opportunities for broader humanitarian education in history (including art history and archeology);
- Establish conditions for continuing studies at Master's level in history, art history and archeology, as well as in teacher learning master's degree level ( high school history and civics teacher profession);
- Support the development of the understanding of specific knowledge for working in position where understanding of social processes is required.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has acquired the primary knowledge to be able to work as a Historian show more...
- can define and describe the main stages of human development and has mastered basic historical terminology; distinguish between ideological and scientific knowledge
- can develop interdisciplinary possibilities for a broader understanding of the past
- is able to identify the basic features of the development of historical sciences
- is able to identify the challenges related to historical sciences and select appropriate methods to meet and overcome them
- can operate using the possibilities offered by modern information technology to receive and communicate historical sciences related information
- can critically evaluate the challenges related to the free flow of information (superficial knowledge, danger of plagiarism, etc)
- can demonstrate primary skills and competence in teamwork
- uses acquired knowledge with tolerance, actively and conceptually, protecting and propagating the principles of diversity in social opinions and preferences
- is able to use the acquired knowledge in professional life (as a historian, an archivist, an archaeologist or art historian) and is prepared to develop both at Master´s level and in lifelong learning
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Bachelor’s thesis or passing the Bachelor’s examination. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits