The purpose of the course is:
- to shape a valuing attitude for work with learners with special needs in the context of inclusive education;
- to create opportunities for the formation of knowledge about learners with special needs and how to support them;
- to form a readiness for reflective practice in professional work built on ethical beliefs, which is based on choosing and reflecting on relevant information;
- to support the development of positive attitudes, acquisition of basic knowledge and the formation of readiness for carrying out research activities in teacher's everyday work environment.
Brief description of the course
Recognising and taking into account the individuality of students. Teacher as a researcher of his/her own work. Stages of action research. Learning difficulties (dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia). Simplifying texts for children with learning disabilities. Hyperactivity and Attention Deficit Disorder. Behavioural difficulties. Autistic spectrum disorders. Sense disabilities. Noticing and becoming aware of special needs. Setting a research question for the action research, wording questions, drafting an action plan, and choice of data collection methods. Ethical requirements in research.Principles and possibilities of differentiation. Intervention strategies. Peculiarities in gender and culture. Inclusive education and its application in schools. Legal acts related to school organisation, design of learning (among other things, cooperation with colleagues, e.g. integrated subject and language learning). Analysis and presentation of action research results.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to differentiate between and describe developmental peculiarities stemming from special needs and adapt subject teaching principles according to the student's individual needs (incl. linguistic and cultural needs);
- knows and is able to plan principles and opportunities for differentiating/individualising the learning process;
- is able to tie the ideas of inclusive education into school reality;
- is able to use different methods (incl. an action survey) to analyse and develop his/her work and the learning environment.