Course title in Estonian
Course title in English
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
Katrina Koppel (eesti keel, inglise keel) tavaline kursus
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
To develop an understanding of the mechanism of civic society as well as its position in the social, economic and political context. To develop an understanding of and fundamental capacities for working in an NGO or in cooperation with NGO-s.
Brief description of the course
The concept and functions of civic society. Civic initiative and its forms, dynamics and objectives. Founding an NGO: organisational and legal issues. NGO-s: goals and activities, internal democracy, sustainability and external factors. Advocacy. Funding. State and civil society relations. Forms of civic participation. Deliberative decision making methods. Civil society organisations as actors in international politics affecting policy on a postnational level.
Homework: seeking information on course topics (e.g. on existing NGO-s, funding opportunities, etc).
Practical projects: group or individual assignments in which the student engages with a particular activity performed by (or in relation to) NGO-s.
Acquiring lecture materials.
Learning outcomes in the course
- Understands the political, economic and social role of the civil society.
- Knows a variety of types of civic initiatives.
- Knows how to found an NGO and what challenges are associated with its maintenance.
- Knows what are social movements, interest groups and pressure groups and how they communicate their interests.
- Knows the different democratic participation practices both from the perspective of NGO-s and public authorities. Knows how to participate and how to engage other actors.
- Knows how NGO-s are funded.
- Knows what are transnational civil society organisations and how they function.
Homework and participation in seminars, practical project; or a written exam to compensate incomplete homework or projects.
Edwards, M. (2007). Civil Society. Routledge.
Ott, S. J. & L. A. Dicke (2012). The Nature of the Non-Profit Sector. Second Edition. Boulder: Westview Press.
Edwards, M. (2012) The Oxford Handbook of Civil Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press
EMSLi ja Praxise infomaterjalid.