lecturer of 2022/2023 Spring semester
Not opened for teaching. Click the study programme link below to see the nominal division schedule.
The aim of this course is to give the understanding about theoretical basis of organic chemistry and about main classes of organic compounds. The knowledge about organic chemistry is the basis for studies in bioorganic chemistry, biochemistry and environmental chemistry.
Brief description of the course
Structure of organic compounds. Chemical bonding. Hybridisation. Classification and nomenclature. Reaction mechanisms in organic chemistry: reactions of radicals, electrophiles and nucleophiles. Hydrocarbons (alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, cycloalkens, arenes). Alkyl halides. Organic oxygen compounds (hydroxyl and oxocompounds). Organic nitrogen and sulphur compounds. Heterocycles. Self-reliant work with literature, developing the ability of students to extract information from the chemical literature to solve given problems. The preparation of laboratory works, analysis and formation of laboratory results. Experimental section: separation, purification and analysis of organic compounds. Comparison of the properties of organic compounds from different chemical classes. Typical laboratory-scale methods to purify, separate and synthesize organic compounds.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to correctly use the terms of organic chemistry, and is capable of substantial discussion within the framework of lectures given in the keywords;
- is able to independently read and understand the field of organic chemistry, materials, and a summary of both oral and written form;
- is able to work safely in the lab;
- is able to relate learned material on practical activities in the laboratory, the experiments associated with the outputs of the real-life problems;
- has basic knowledge about organic synthesis, separation , purifications and analysis of the reaction products.