Develop ability to plan, analyze and evaluate research and development (R&D) projects, as well understanding peculiarity of R&D projects.
Brief description of the course
Introduction to the course. Basic concepts, process models and structures of projects and project management (including PMBOK, PMMM, OPM3, PMCD framework, PRINCE 2). Basic principles and methods for initiation, planning and execution of projects.
Peculiarity and role of R&D projects in R&D activities. Composition methods and evaluation criteria of R&D projects. Planning R&D projects: determining an objective, research tasks/hypotheses, the title, activities/methodology. Resource planning, estimation of application potential. Reviewing R&D projects. Executing R&D projects. Application procedures and best practices. Topics related to project management. A number of examples – R&D projects – will be discussed.
1. Development and presentation of a research project plan.
2. Reviewing of a research project plan of a fellow student.
3. Development and presentation of a development project plan (team work).
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to develop a R&D project plan;
- is able to review an R&D project plan;
- is aware of major problems of executing of R&D projects, and possibilities of their solving.
All doctoral students are eligible to subscribe to the course. The students who attended on at least six classes are eligible to subscribe to the examination.
The examination work consists of three parts:
1) Research project plan; submission deadline – 25.04.
2) Review of a research project; submission deadline – 02.05.
3) Development project plan; submission deadline – 20.05
For passing the examination, all three parts should be completed.