Course title in Estonian
Audiovisuaalsed väljendusvahendid õppetöös
Course title in English
Using Audiovisual Resources in Studies
lecturer of 2023/2024 Autumn semester
Liina Särkinen (language of instruction:Estonian)
lecturer of 2023/2024 Spring semester
Not opened for teaching. Click the study programme link below to see the nominal division schedule.
The aim of the subject is to create prerequisites for the use of audiovisual means of expression in the creation of teaching methods and materials in various subjects and for the development of primary audiovisual storytelling skills.
Brief description of the course
In the course of the subject, students learn to use audiovisual means of expression to develop teaching methods and materials. An overview of film, the nature of film language, different genres, the ABC of filmmaking and the role of visual culture in society and history is given. Explains the use and impact of audiovisual media on social media platforms (Youtube, Facebook, TikTok, etc.).
The multi-layered nature and impact of audiovisual means of analysis are analyzed - film language, music, image “reading skills” and seeing details, etc. Audiovisual media will be introduced as an opportunity to develop students' general competences and to foster cooperation between subject teachers. The film and its topic are treated as a basis for discussion and an opportunity for critical analysis, seeing different aspects of problems and getting to know cultures.
In the course of the subject, basic practical skills of audiovisual storytelling are acquired, thereby developing teachers 'digital competence and the ability to support students' creativity.
During the subject, students develop teaching materials and / or methods based on their field, which are presented to fellow students.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- understands the technical and substantive structure, terminology, multi-layered, ethical aspects of an audiovisual work,
- critically analyzes the importance of visual culture in society and history,
- analyzes AV means of expression, is able to connect the field of teaching (learning core) with them, while supporting the development of students' general competencies (film as an opportunity for teamwork, analytical skills, critical thinking, digital competencies and ethical discussions),
- compiles teaching materials based on an audiovisual work (including digital ones) and / or creates a teaching method for use in one's field of study,
- knows the possibilities and impact of the use of audiovisual media on social media platforms,
- knows streaming and social media platforms from which to access films and supplementary material,
- creates simpler audiovisual content.
Mikk Rand, kaasõppejõud Liina Särkinen
- an online handbook on film education.
Alternative literature (list of literature studied by the student, which covers the lecture part of the course):
- Elkins, Fiorentini “Visual Worlds: Looking, Images, Visual Disciplines”, 2020 Oxford University Press, USA
- Bordwell, David, Thompson, Kristin. Film Art: An Introduction
Study programmes containing that course