The objective is to introduce the main concepts and schools of communication, create better understanding of communication and processes in the society; introduce the options that communicaiton theories provide to understand and define social processes; and to support the development of first skills to analyze communication. The course also helps to understand the relationships between communication theories and other social sciences and to develop interdisciplinary and complex thinking.
Brief description of the course
Communication and society is an elementary level course that introduces most important aspects of communication studies. The course provides an overview of the types of communication and position of the communication processes.
The topics of the course require critical analysis of communication processes.
Topics of lectures and seminars:
- The nature of communication theroy
- Communication and society
- Communication and culture
- Communication and constructivism
- Communication analysis: text, message, context
- Communication in practice
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- knows the main concepts and issues of communication theory;
- finds his/her way in the main approaches of communication theory;
- is able to properly use specific terminology;
- can define types of communication and interpret processes in society as communication processes;
- can find relations between the field of communication and his/her speciality.