Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Theory of Culture
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Humanitaaria, mujal liigitamata
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education. show more...
Admission is based on the results of national exams and the vocational aptitude exam.
Study programme aims and objectives
- Create opportunities to gain thorough knowledge of the different disciplines that study cultures and develop the skills to use this knowledge in practice;
- Create opportunities for studying and useing the main cultural scientific methods;
- Create the basis to continue ones further studies in master level of cultural theory or any other field in humanities;
- Support the developing of skills neccesary for work in the cultural sector or any other job that requires the ability to analyse cultural phenomenons.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has broad-based knowledge of disciplines that deal with culture, of complex ways to study culture and different schools of cultural criticism show more...
- is able to use critical methods for analysing cultural problems, in scientific research and in practice
- is able to introduce one's profession, communicate with different target groups and handle professional questions on a broader scale of society
- is able to see connections between different fields of research and understands philosophical problems of science
- is able to identify one's needs for further study and professional development
- has understanding of the plurality of cultures and ability to orientate in a contemporary multicultural world
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Bachelor’s thesis. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
As an additional requirement for students who have been admitted until 2015/2016, the foreign language proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages shall correspond to B2 level, in case of students of distant and cyclical learning to B1 level, and their computer skills shall be sufficient for university studies.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits
+ MAIN SPECIALITY: Theory of Culture
+ MINOR FIELD OF STUDY MODULE: Cultural Theory
- Create opportunities for gaining basic knowledge in the main areas and methods of the disciplines for researching culture;
- To provide conditions for developing knowledge of the main areas of cultural analysis;
- To create prerequisites for developing practical skills for the analysis of different cultural phenomena.
- Basic knowledge of main theoretical disciplines of cultural sciences;
- Ability to orientate in the main areas and methodologies of current cultural theory;
- Knowledge on the main methods, main works and schools of cultural history, cultural theory, semiotics and research of popular culture;
- Ability to analyse critically immediate and remote cultural environments;
- Ability to analyse literary texts;
- Ability to analyse visual cultural texts;
- Ability to analyse religious processes and phenomena.
approximate amount of contact lessons