Course title in Estonian
Disainimõtlemine ja generatiivsed uuringud
Course title in English
Design Thinking and Generative Research
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
Iuliia Paramonova (language of instruction:English)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Spring semester
Not opened for teaching. Click the study programme link below to see the nominal division schedule.
The goal of the course is to help students gain a deeper understanding of the problems they would like to design solutions for. Students will be provided with the tools necessary for looking critically at the world and identifying opportunities for solutions and innovation. By exploring, recording, and understanding people’s actions, thoughts, and feelings students will reach solidly framed problem statements that can be used as input for prototyping.
Brief description of the course
This course comprises of 3 main parts:
- The background - learning about the underlying principles of generative research;
- The methods - learning how to use relevant generative research tools and techniques;
- The procedure - learning how to plan, gather, document, analyse, and communicate the collected data.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- understands of a variety of generative research methods;
- can carry out experimental fieldwork, e.g. conducting ethnography, deploying probes;
- understands how to thoroughly formulate a problem statement for a possible design solution.
Study programmes containing that course