Course title in Estonian
Haridustehnoloogia ja õppimisteadused
Course title in English
Educational Technology and Learning Sciences
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
Kai Pata (eesti keel) tavaline kursus
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
The course gives overview of the connection points of Educational Technology and Learning Sciences based on scientific research in the domain:
- how has educational technology been used to extend our understanding of what learning is, how it happens, and what is the result of learning;
- how were different learning theories used for advancing or developing learning environments, -methods and –resources to solve the challenges of education;
- how to evaluate educational applications from the learning theories’ aspect.
Brief description of the course
The course gives overview to extend understanding, what is technology advanced learning from the perspective of different learning theories; how to apply different learning theories in technology enhanced design of educational environments, tools and resources to solve the challenges of learning; and how to evaluate those from the perspective of different learning theories. At the course the students have to individually analyze several learning environments, -scenarios and digital resources from the point of view of different learning theories, the peer-learning is organised to discover unclear understandings about the connections of learning theories and their interrelations with educational technology.
The course has blog-based individual assignments in which the students have to analyze learning environments and –resources using the learning theories lenze. The comments to the peer students blog posts are required to ground the understandings.
The course has five contact-days and additionally students have to make individual assignments.
Learning outcomes in the course
Student associates the different learning theory principles with the design elements of the digital learning environments and –resources.
Exam contains the submission of five individual assignments where digital learning environments are analyzed according to the different learning theories principles and has critically revised five peer students’ assignments. The grade is given for the correct usage of concepts and principles from learning theories with the selected digital learning environments’ design elements.
Kursus tugineb erialastel artiklitel (täpsem info kursuse blogis) ja järgmistel raamatutel:
1. Pata, K. & Laanpere, M. (Toim.) Tiigriõpe. Haridustehnoloogia
käsiraamat koolidele. (2009). URL: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13822390/Tiigriraamat
2. Mayer, R. (2005). The Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning.
3. Driscoll, M.P. (2005). Psychology of Learning for Instruction. Pearson.
4. Shapiro, L. (2011). Embodied cognition. Routledge Press.