Course title in Estonian
Hiina keel B1.1
Course title in English
Chinese Language B1.1
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The course aims to give a knowledge in all constituent skills in Chinese language level B1.1.
Brief description of the course
During the course will be learned to read and write 250 new Chinese characters (950 in total )and their usage in sentences. There will be learned to write personal letters and messages in deeper contents. Students will learn to express his/her thoughts using the sequence of simple sentences. Also there will be learned to describe experiences and events, and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans, as well as to express his/her opinion, agreement or disagreement politely.
Individual work involves fulfilling home assignments, home reading, preparation for individual and group presentations both in oral and written form.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student
• is able to write and read required 950 Chinese characters in texts
• is able to use simple language to deal with most practical situations, like asking for information or for a clarification, expressing opinions, making suggestions
• is able to use simple language tools to describe, analyze and compare unfamiliar events
• understands the main points and specific details of everyday topics regularly encountered at work, at school, at leisure
• is able to follow short straightforward speech on familiar topics
• knows how to write general simple texts on familiar topics, by linking a series of shorter sentences in a simple sequence
• knows how to write personal letters and messages, and forward news.
The student has to participate in at least 70% of lessons (100 hours), and take all tests and submit all home assignments by deadline.
Grades will be assigned based on following criteria:
5 presentations during the class: 5%
5 essay writing task before the final exam: 5%
Final exam in the end of term (listening ,reading and writing (75%) and spoken test (25%): 85%
The course is a prerequisite
Zhang, Fengge. Developing Chinese (2nd edition) –Elementary Listening Course (2). Beijing Language and culture university press. 2012
Xu, Guimei. Developing Chinese (2nd edition) –Elementary Comprehensive Course (2). Beijing Language and culture university press. 2012
Wang, Shuhong; Yao, Shujun; Yan, Ti; Zhang, Wei. Developing Chinese (2nd edition) –Elementary Speaking Course (2). Beijing Language and culture university press. 2012
In-class handout and additional readings.
Liu, Xun. New Practical Chinese Reader Textbook and Workbook 3. Beijing Language and Culture University Press. 2002