Course title in Estonian
Akadeemiline inglise keel: integreeritud oskused
Course title in English
Academic English: an Integrated Approach
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
Ene Alas (language of instruction:English)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
This is a proficiency level practical English course, which aims at developing speaking skills within the framework of topics related to academic communication, integrating it with other skills (reading and listening). The course aims at sustaining C1 level proficiency of English.
Brief description of the course
The course focuses on language use related to the university (studies, academic activities and obligations, relationships among students, the position of the university in society, ties between different universities, comparison of getting a higher education in the English-speaking world etc.), its processing and acquisition.
Introducing topics are related to the university from the viewpoint of adult / teacher. researching, organising and mediating related problematics.
As independent work one should work with dictionaries, compile short research papers, prepare and coordinate individual and group presentations.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- has familiarized themselves with the main terminology and concepts of the topic;
- has studied the assigned articles on the topics, are able to identify the main and secondary problems in them. They can also relate the problem to their own experience through commentary;
- is able to complete individual and group presentations on the given topics and deliver them on the appropriate lexical and grammatical level;
- is able to apply the newly acquired lexis, completing the given tests with a positive grade.
- as a result of the course activities, is able demonstrate noticeable improvement in academic writing an lexis, linguistic accuracy and fluency.
The course is a prerequisite
Study programmes containing that course