Study programme code
Study programme administrator
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
HT - School of Humanities
Study programme title in Est.
Euroopa nüüdiskeeled ja kultuurid
study programme title in Engl.
European Modern Languages and Cultures
Language of instruction
Humanitaaria ja kunstid
Study programme group
languages and cultures
Study programme subgroup
Nominal study period (in semesters)
For all majors:
1) Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education;
2) certificate of state exam in Estonian or Estonian as a second language
Spanish, Italian, French, Finnish language and culture
3) admittance exam
German language and culture
3) admittance exam
4) German at least on A2 level
English language and culture:
3) English at least on B2 level. State exam in English taken before 2013 should be at least 76 points.
Study programme aims and objectives
The aim of the study programme is:
- to provide opportunities to learn the main areas and theories of humanities;
-to provide opportunities to acquire a broad-based education in language and culture of a chosen major, and provide pre-requisites to work in posts which demand education in humanities and proficient skills in a chosen language;
- to provide the opportunity to combine the major subject area with a minor;
-to enhance the development of cultural and ethical values and to create pre-requisites for the application of subject specific knowledge in a broader cultural and societal context;
- to provide opportunities to acquire a foreign language of the major at B2 (Spanish, Italian, French, German, Finnish) or C1 (English) level;
-to develop skills to assess one's educational and development needs;
-to create pre-requisites for independent research activities;
- to create the basis for continuing on at MA level in the areas of cultural studies, foreign language teacher training, oral or written translation, or on some other field of humanities at MA level either in Estonia or abroad.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has acquired wide knowledge and skills in the field of the humanities show more...
- knows the main concepts and theories used in research on the language, literature and culture of his/her major and understands the relationship of his/her own field to other disciplines
- knows the possible applications in his/her field of study
- knows the development and characteristic features of the studied cultures and the related social issues
- is proficient in the foreign language of his/her major at CEFR level B2 (Spanish, Italian, French, German, Finnish) or C1 (English)
- is able to analyse cultural differences, recognises the possibilities and the problems of intercultural communication
- has practiced his/her knowledge and acquired additional skills in the Estonian labour market
- is able to carry out basic scientific research in his/her field
- is able to communicate with different target groups, work in a team, and implement specific expertise in a wider cultural and social context
- is able to define his/her own developmental needs and is equipped to pursue master's studies
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and passing the Bachelor’s examination. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits