Study programme code
Head of study programme
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Ärindus, haldus ja õigus
Study programme subgroup
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education;
State exam (25%):Estonian language state examination (Estonian school) or Estonian language as a second language state examination (min 60 points).
Entrance exam 75%.
Since 2018/19 academic year English on B2 level (European Framework of Reference for Languages) required.
Study programme aims and objectives
- to create preconditions for formation of principle competency show more...
of the main spheres of law and theoretical development trends and methods proceeded from the European values and legal culture and considering the context of globalising world;
- to create preconditions for developing skills of logically argued critical thinking, analysing and interpretation and their application for solving the easier legal issues;
- to create preconditions for development of professional and moral standards and skills of application of law knowledge and formation the skills to assess the consequences of his/her activities in society, as well as to use legal data bases;
- to create preconditions to develop skills for teamwork and its leadership and for preparedness for tolerance of diversity of attitudes and values;
- to create conditions to acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes for life-long learning and continuing studies of law on Master’s level.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has systematic knowledge in fundamental concepts of social sciences and law, show more...
their internal connections, development trends, and topical issues, most important legal systems and functions of law in society
- has knowledge of the principle spheres of social sciences connected with law and can use the knowledge in understanding today’s globalizing world and is able to solve easier legal cases
- can analyse logically and critically legal issues from the aspect of today´s social developments using appropriate theories and methods and planning his/her activities assessing the possible consequences in society
- is capable to find necessary data from information databases, is prepared to participate in teamwork or lead it, proceeds in his/her professional and social activities from the attitudes and diversity of values of civil society and democratic rule of law
- can explain professional problems in a foreign language both in written and orally and participate in professional disputes
- is capable to determine his/her personal development and need for professional improvement and is tended to life-long learning
- is capable to use the knowledge, skills and attitudes that are preconditions for continuation law studies on Master’s level and is able to solve practical legal fundamental issues
In order to complete the curriculum the student must:
1. complete the curriculum in the determined load, show more...
e.g. pass all the compulsory courses and the elective courses in the load determined by the curriculum and pass the Bachelor’s exam;
2. Students who have not graduated from upper secondary schools where Estonian is the language of instruction, or who have graduated from schools where Estonian is only partly the language of instruction, are required to have Estonian language proficiency at C1 level.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits
+ MAIN SPECIALITY: Law
+ MINOR FIELD OF STUDY MODULE: Public Law
The objective of the curriculum is to create opportunities to gain basic knowledge of state law, show more...
European Union law and international public law, to help to understand the connections between the branches of public law and to create ability to use this knowledge to interpret the legal acts and to solve the cases.
The student who has completed the curriculum:
• has an overview of the system of public law, show more...
the main priciples, the main concepts, the branches and departments of knowledge of law and the connections between these branches;
• is able to analyze the public law issues in context of state law, European Union law and international law and to orientate in the branches of public law;
• knows and recognizes the connections between state public law, European Union law and international law according to the regulatory fitness, to the interpreting the legal acts and to the needs of practical implementation;
• is able to use the knowledge to raise and to analyze problems of public law, to formulate legal main question, to see the need for constitutional review in solving the case and to draft necessary legal documents;
• is based on his/her activities to the legal norms, main principles and the Code of Good Administrative Behaviour of an European area of justice and evaluates the main principles of constitution of Estonia.
approximate amount of contact lessons