Course title in Estonian
Mäluasutuste juhtimine ja turundus
Course title in English
Management and Marketing in Memory Organizations
approximate amount of contact lessons
autumn - spring
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
Silvi Metsar (eesti keel) e-toega kursus
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
● To create predconditions for obtaining knowledge on managing and marketing of memory organizations;
● To support to acquisition of an overview on the financial and strategic planning, and human resource management;
● To create the prerequisites for the formation of knowledge and skills to analyze the possibility to adapt marketing theories and models in marketing the memory institutions;
● To create predconditions for obtaining knowledge on creating and developing the marketing plan for memory institutions.
Brief description of the course
The importance of management. Financial management. The values of libraries and ohter memory institutions. Management of change. Motivation and managing people. Teamwork. The Strategic planning process. Formulating a mission. Environmental analysis. Project management, partnership and collaboration. Professional associations.
The conception, aim, nature and tasks of marketing. Areas of using marketing, marketing content and functions. The marketing of non-profit organizations (Kotler, Andreasen, Casoline). Services marketing (Gummesson, Lovelock, Wirtz), social marketing (Zaltman, Shapiro), relationship marketing (Grönroos). The principles of implementation information based services marketing (Rowley). The steps to marketing and cycles of marketing process. A information services marketing position (SWOT, PEST, Porter’s Five Forces analysis), marketing environment. Marketing surveys for conducting marketing process, marketing information system. The market of information services, market segmenting, segments’ indicators.
Practical written individual assignments
Learning outcomes in the course
By the end of the course the student:
● Knows the principles of the organisation management and strategic planning;
● Knows the principles of the human resource management;
● Has an overview on the professional associations and cooperation between memory institutions;
● Is able to discuss the various types and definitions of “marketing concept”;
● Knows main marketing theories and models;
● Can transfer the marketing theoretical models into marketing context of memory institutions;
● Is able to evaluate at what level information services satisfy users’ needs of memory institutions;
● Is able to create a marketing plan for memory institution.
Exam. Formative assessement ( final grade is a composite of the grades of practical assignments).
lekt S.Metsar, lekt A.Lepik
Afzal, W. (2012). Management of Information Organizations. Chandos, Woodhead Publishing Ltd. Dempsey, K. (2013). The Accidental Library Marketer. 2nd ed. Information Today, Inc.
Koontz, C., & Mon, L. (2014). Marketing and social media: A guide for libraries, Archives, and museums. Rowman & Littlefield.
Librarianship : an introduction (2008). Ed by G. G. Chowdhury, P. F. Burton, D. McMenemy and A. Poulter. London: Facet Publishing.
Marketing Library and Information Services: International Perspectives. (2006). Ed by D. Gupta, C. Koonz, A. Massisimo, R. Savard. München: Saur.
Marketing Library and Information Services II: A Global Outlook. (2013). Ed by D. Gupta, C. Koonz, A. Massisimo. Berlin/Munich: De Gruyter Saur.
Potter, N. (2012). The library marketing toolkit. Facet Publishing.
Green, R. (2007). Library Management: A case study approach. Chandos, Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
Lockhart, J., Sulaiman, M. (2012). The Effect of Library Staff Training and Development on the User Experience: A Case Study at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT). Proceedings of the IATUL Conferences. - http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1134&context=iatul (21.03.2016)
Mathews, B. (2009). Marketing Today's Academic Library: A Bold New Approach to Communicating with Students. Alpha Pub House.
McKinlay, J., Williamson, V. (2010). The art of people management in libraries: tips for managing your most vital library resources: people management. Chandos, Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
Moniz, R. (2010). Practical and Effective Management of Libraries: Integrating case studies, general management theory and self-understanding. Chandos, Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
Rentschler, R., & Hede, A. M. (2009). Museum marketing. Routledge.
Saez de, E. (2002). Marketing Concepts for Libraries and Information Services. 2nd ed. London: Library Association Publications Ltd.
Stuart, R., Moran, B. (2007). Library and Information Center Management. 7th edition. Libraries Unlimited, Westport CT.