Course title in Estonian
Akadeemiline prantsuse keel I
Course title in English
French for Academic Purposes I
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
Ülo Siirak (language of instruction: French)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
To create opportunities to develop academic language skills in French as a foreign language and acquire B2.2 level proficiency. To enrol to the course, the students are expected to have B2.1 level according to the European Framework for Languages.
Brief description of the course
The study activities develop communicative competence through emphasis on the understanding of written and oral texts and spoken and written production.
The main themes of the course cover study specific areas and are related to the cultural context of French speaking countries and should support the preparation of their final research. The study material consists mainly of academic, literary and media texts. Important emphasis is on the development of argumentative skills and the development of the capacity to see problems from another perspective. Special attention is brought on the vocabulary. Grammar is studied in context. Written production consists of writing different types of texts, including argumentative essays, and oral skills are developed. Emphasis is on promoting collaboration between students.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to read articles and literary texts about study specific topics, is able to understand study specific extended argumentative speech;
- is able to develop his or her point of view and participate in discussion;
- is able to choose and pass on information, give reasons in support or against his or her point of view;
- is able to write clear texts on study specific topics;
- is able to present a sustained monologue about study related topics.
Ana Sofia Chermont de Magalhaes
Study programmes containing that course