Course title in Estonian
Tekstianalüüs ja kirjutamispraktika
Course title in English
Text Analysis and Writing Practice
lecturer of 2021/2022 Spring semester
Francisco Javier López Arias (language of instruction:English)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
Core subject. Augmenting C1 language skills: reinforcing reading and writing skills, enhancing vocabulary, improving oral and written fluency, polishing grammar. Developing analytical skills. Awareness of urgent contemporary issues. Digital technologies in an academic context.
Brief description of the course
Analysing different texts: short fiction, journalism, media and video materials. Styles and genres of writing. Essays, character sketches; creative writing. Business correspondence. Opinion articles. Tackling topical issues (politics, media, internet world, ecology and the environment) on the basis of media texts and video material. Discussions and presentations. Practicing grammar, translation and paraphrasing exercises.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- has improved their grammar and vocabulary;
- is able to write various texts and express their opinion in fluent and correct English;
- is capable of seeing the deep structure of a text, hidden (also metaphorical and symbolic) meaning in a literary text, connections between characters and other textual elements;
- is aware of English-language media;
- has a grasp of urgent contemporary issues and is able to discourse on them;
- as developed digital skills and is capable of doing various tasks in an electronic environment.
Francisco Lopez Arias
Study programmes containing that course