Course title in Estonian
Sissejuhatus meedia juhtimisse ja majandusse
Course title in English
Introduction to Media Management and Economics
lecturer of 2020/2021 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
lecturer of 2021/2022 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
The aim of the course is to introduce media economics and management as an area of research that helps to understand strategic choices of media companies. To this end, students will be introduced to key concepts, sources of information and analytical tools for understanding media markets, industries and companies. Students will learn about the operations and activities of media companies as well as the economic forces and issues affecting them.
Brief description of the course
The course will include the following topics:
- Defining Media Management and Media Economics
- Defining and measuring media markets and media industries
- Market structure: forms, concentration, calculations
- Media Business Models
- Strategic media management
- Value supply chain
- International media strategies
- Media brand management
- Social media strategies
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student...
- receive a systematic overview of concepts and theories in media management and economics
- have in-depth knowledge about current theoretical development trends, current problems and potential applications in the field of media management and economics
- understand the media as a business
- be able to evaluate, analyze, explain or forecast market behavior by media organizations based on environmental factors in the market.
The course is a prerequisite
For each of the topics and lectures, students will receive a separate list of literature that they can consult for the various topics.
Albarran, A. B. (2002). Media Economics: Understanding markets, industries and concepts, Wiley-Blackwell.
Aris, A. and J. Bughin (2005). Managing media companies. Harnessing creative value. Chichester, John Wiley & Sons..
Doyle, G. (2012). Understanding media economics. London Sage Publications.
Küng, Lucy. (2017). Strategic management in the media.
Theory and practice. London: Sage.
Küng, Lucy (Ed.). (2006). Leadership in the media. Jönköping:
Media Management and Transformation Centre.
Picard, R. G. (2010). The economics and financing of media companies. New York, Fordham University Press.
Rohn, U. (2004). Media companies and their strategies in foreign television markets, Institut für Rundfunkökonomie an der Universität zu Köln. Available at: http://www.rundfunk-institut.uni-koeln.de/institut/pdfs/18704.pdf.
Rohn, U. (2010). Cultural barriers to the success of foreign media content - Western media in China, India, and Japan. Frankfurt am Main, Peter Lang Publishing
Rohn, Ulrike. (2015). Social media business models. In A. Peng
Hwa & R. Mansell (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Digital
Communication & Society. New Jersey: Wiley-Blackwell.
Siegert, Gabriele, Förster, Kati, Chan-Olmsted, Sylvia, & Ots,
Mart. (2015). Handbook of media branding: Springer
Õppekavaversioonid, millesse aine kuulub