Course title in Estonian
Course title in English
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2018/2019 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
* to provide an overview of insurance law and the general principles of insurance activity, current trends in insurance law, and societal relations that insurance law regulates; and to explain important theoretical and practical problems of insurance law and the options for solving them;
* to give an overview of the relevant court practice, which is necessary for understanding and solving insurance law cases and implementing insurance law;
* to develop the necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills for understanding insurance law cases.
Brief description of the course
The course provides an overview of the historical development and the current trends of insurance law. It deals with general questions of insurance law and also with special types of insurance contract (non-life insurance, life insurance, accident insurance, sickness insurance) The part and role, system, principles, institutes of insurance law will also be covered. In addition, cases and written assignments will be solved during the course.
Subject 3 ECTS – in day time study form independent work is 54 Hours.
Individual written homework answering questions regarding insurance law and giving a legal opinion on questions in the area of insurance law, which forms the written part of the assessment.
Learning outcomes in the course
After completing the course, the student:
* knows and understands the aims of insurance law and activity, which legal norms form insurance law, what insurance law regulates, and which are the current trends in insurance;
* knows, understands and is able to utilize the main notions of insurance law;
* knows the insurance legislation of Estonia;
* is aware of the rights and duties of the subjects of an insurance contract;
* can individually solve simple insurance law cases.
An assessment consisting of a written and oral part. The written part consists of the following sections:
1) issues about the insurance law regulations, aims, general principles, basic concepts;
2) issue about private insurance law;
3) issue about public insurance law;
The oral part contains analysis of the written part and its defence. To pass the assessment in case of an insufficient written part, there will be additional questions regarding the entire course.
Kirjanduse läbitöötamine 1 EAP=ca 160 lehekülge, 3 EAP x 160 = 480 lk
1. Lahe, J. Kindlustusõigus. Kirjastus Juura, 2007 (214 lk);
2. Varul, P., Kull, I., Kõve, V., Käerdi, M.. Võlaõigusseadus I Komm. väljaanne. Kirjastus Juura, Tallinn 2006 1. Osa Kahju hüvitamine (56 lk);
3. Varul, P., Kull, I., Kõve, V., Käerdi, M.. Võlaõigusseadus II Komm. väljaanne. Kirjastus Juura, Tallinn 2006 4. osa Kindlustusleping (170 lehekülge);
Õppejõu poolt kursusele registreerunud üliõpilastele nimetatavad artiklid, õigusaktid ja seaduseelnõude seletuskirjad.
Lisaks kohustuslikule kirjandusele:
1. Inglist, A.-M. Kahjukindlustuse käsiraamat. Äripäeva Kirjastuse AS, 2001
2. Riigikohtu kohtuotsused kindlustusvaidlustes.
3. Kindlustuse vaidlusekomisjoni otsused.