Course title in Estonian
Elektroonilise kirjastamise protsessid
Course title in English
Electronic Publishing Processes
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
Aile Möldre (eesti keel) tavaline kursus
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
• To create presuppositions for acquiring knowledge on the essence and role of electronic publishing in modern information exchange; about the formats and standards in electronic publishing; the content management systems used for publishing electronic publications
• To support the acquiring of practical competence for publishing different e-publications
Brief description of the course
The concept of e-publishing. Electronic publications, their types and features. The impact of electronic publishing on reading. The publishing process and the changes in the roles of various agents in e-publishing. The rise of self-publishing in the Web.
The formats and standards of electronic publications (text, graphics, multimedia). Software and hardware for reading e-books, E-paper and e-ink.
Business models of e-publishing.
Copyright in the electronic environment. Open Access. Open content licences.
The creation of an electronic publication with MS Word and its conversion to pdf or ePub. The creation of an electronic publication with MS Publisher and other programmes. The web-based e-publishing platforms.
Web 2.0 as publishing environment. The features of reading and writing on the web. Writing a blog. Content management systems for creating websites and blogs.
Marketing and sales of an e-publication.
Practical assignments include the comparison of different content management systems, the creation and publishing of an e-book on the web (or the creation of an e-publication with text processing software and its conversion), the cretaion of a website or blog with a web content management system.
Learning outcomes in the course
By the end of this course the student:
• Explains the specifics of digital archiving as compared with paper-based archiving and preservation;
• Evaluates critically different digital preservation methods and strategies;
• Is able to justify the need for creating a digital archive in an organisation and the benefits it will bring;
• Is able to determine tasks necessary for archiving and preserving a digital object based on its type and properties;
• Demonstrates the ability to choose between different types of metadata in a digital archive.
The student has passed the course when all practical assignments have been presented and accepted.
Cordon-Garcia, J.-A., Alonso-Arevalo, J. et al. (2013). Social Reading. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.
Efroni, Z. (2011). Access-right : the future of digital copyright law. New York; Oxford : Oxford University Press.
E-books in libraries : a practical guide / edited by Kate Price and Virginia Havergal. (2011). London : Facet Publishing.
Buse, J. W. (2014). EPUB from the ground up : a hands-on guide to EPUB 2 and EPUB 3. New York ; Chicago [etc.] : Mc Graw Hill Education.
Jones, C., Jewell, D. (2013). 100 ways to publish and sell your own e-book - and make it a bestseller. London : How To Books.
Kraavi, H. (2011). Kuidas kirjutada veebitekste. Tallinn: Riigi Infosüsteemi Amet. https://www.ria.ee/public/Programm/Tark_e_riik_2011/Koolitusmaterjal_2011_010811.pdf.
MS Word’i tutvustus (kujundamiseks). http://www.ttykk.edu.ee/informaatika/Word_juhend.rtf
Vaarik, D. (2012).Raamatu kirjutamisest. http://memokraat.ee/2012/10/raamatu-kirjutamisest/.
Crawford, K. (2009). Writing for the Web. North Vancouver : Self-Counsel Press.
Culbertson, M., Culbertson, M.(2012). Blog design for dummies.
NY; London: John Wiley & Sons.
MacWilliam, A. (2013). The Engaged Reader: A human-centred evaluation of ebook user experience. – Publishing Research Quarterly, 26 January.
Masters, D. How to Promote Your Self-Published eBook on Social Media. - http://business.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-promote-your-self-published-ebook-on-social-media--fsw-39575
Widdersheim,M. M. (2015). E-books: Histories, trajectories, futures. First Monday, Volume 20, Number 6 - 1 June 2015. http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/5641/4575