Course title in Estonian
Eesti ja Balti ajaloo seminar
Course title in English
Seminar on Estonian and Baltic History
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The aim of the course is to enable the students to:
- develop a broad overview of the Estonian and Baltic history and archaeology from the ancient and medieval period until today;
- acquire a reflective understanding of the specifics of the Baltic history and the particularities of the region’s development
Brief description of the course
The seminars analyse the key topics of Estonian and Baltic history and archaeology. The course is structured thematically, paying special attention to those historical and archaeological phenomena and periods, which concern the times of intensive cultural transfer and social changes in the Baltic region. We discuss different concepts of “our” and “other” history and the related problems. The course is carried out in the co-operation of several teachers.
Working through the compulsory literature (most of which shall be uploaded into the Moodle). Delivering a short presentation analysing one particular phenomenon related to the Estonian or Baltic history. Writing a short essay on the same topic.
Learning outcomes in the course
- knows the most significant topics of Estonian history and archaeology, and can judge their relevance in contemporary academic research;
- can analyse Estonian and Baltic history and archaeology and the related phenomena in a broader, entangled context;
- is able to offer different interpretations and approaches to the phenomena belonging to Estonian and Baltic history, as well as to judge the perspectives of studying specific topics
1. Active participation in seminars and knowledge of the compulsory literature (30%) 2. Oral presentation and the short essay on the same topic (around 10 000 characters) (30%) 3. Structured written exam (40%)
Dotsent Linda Kaljundi
Seminare ei saa kirjandusega asendada.