Course title in Estonian
Sissejuhatus akadeemilisse prantsuse keelde I
Course title in English
Introduction to Academic French I
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
Ülo Siirak (language of instruction: French)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
To create opportunities to develop academic language skills in French as a foreign language and acquire B2.1 level proficiency. To enrol to the course, the students are expected to have B1.2 level according to the European Framework for Languages.
Brief description of the course
The study activities develop communicative competency through emphasis on the understanding of written and oral texts and spoken and written production.
The main themes of the course cover study specific area and are related to the cultural context of French speaking countries. The study material consists mainly of academic and media texts. Important emphasis is on the development of argumentative skills and the development of the capacity to see problems from another perspective. Special attention is brought on the vocabulary. Grammar is studied in context. Written production consists of writing descriptive and argumentative texts, also oral skills are developed. Emphasis is on promoting collaboration between students.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to read articles and reports about study specific topics;
- is able to understand extended speech and lectures, if the topic is reasonably familiar;
- is able to choose and pass on information, give reasons in support or against of his or her point of view;
- is able to develop his point of view and participate in discussion;
- is able to present a sustained monologue about a subject of personal interest and support his or her ideas with relevant examples;
- is able to write clear texts on study specific subjects.
Study programmes containing that course