Course title in Estonian
Tüpograafia ja graafilise kujunduse alused
Course title in English
Typography and Basics of Layout
lecturer of 2020/2021 Spring semester
Carl-Robert Kagge (õpetamise keel: Estonian) ordinary course
lecturer of 2021/2022 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
To introduce the use of visual information and font types. To give principle knowledge and practical skills to prepare material for print.
Brief description of the course
Short overview of the Estonian graphic history. The stages of typography development, and different approaches to it today. Overview assignments and analyses. Text as an information vehicle and graphic element. Message and target group. Photographic images in print and photo editing. The type families and principles of composition. Analytical thinking versus design thinking. Solving practical assignments (e.g. type design for poster, business card, portfolio or book design).
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student...
- have an overview of the shaping of graphic design and it's history;
- have an overview of the problematics of the graphic design shaping;
- know the widespread font types and will know how to use them in the design process;
- know how to use digital photo editing and layout programs (e.g. Adobe InDesign, Photoshop);
- know how to collect their works and texts, document them and design a portfolio for print.
The course is a prerequisite
Õppekavaversioonid, millesse aine kuulub