Course title in Estonian
Haridustehnoloogia ja õpianalüütika
Course title in English
Educational Technology and Learning Analytics
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2018/2019 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
Create opportunity for
- Understanding the role of technology as a tool for driving and measuring evidence in the educational innovation processes;
- Getting an overview of current trends in educational technology used to change teaching and learning practices;
- Understanding the role of online data collection and learning analytics to measure effects of educational interventions;
- Being able to plan and conduct a learning analytics project, including considerations of ethical conduct and privacy.
Brief description of the course
Activity Theory and the role of tools in the conduct of human activity, tools as a driver of innovation.
Several types of educational technology for formal and informal learning: Open Educational Resources; inquiry projects; mobile tools for learning outside the classroom; collaborative research and writing tools; distributed course management systems; blogs and e-portfolios; MOOCs; Institutional Evidence-based decision making; Technologies for classroom orchestration and student self-regulation.
Overview of different learning analytics projects.
Data Analysis project using an open data set to predict course drop-out, collaborative learning activity or similar; communication of results.
Ethical and data privacy issues in learning analytics.
Making a plan for how to adopt Learnig Analytics in their own project.
- read and present a summary of one educational technology method;
- perform data analysis exercise;
- write a learning analytics adoption plan.
Learning outcomes in the course
Students will have
- understanding of activity theory and tools as a driver for educational innovation;
- overview knowledge of current edu tech and learning analytics approaches;
- ability to apply basic skills of data analysis;
- ability to make a learning analytics plan for their project / institution.
Presentation in the seminar, report about a selected educational technology, report about the data analysis project, learning analytics implementation plan.
Tobias Ley, Maria Rodriguez Triana, Luis Pablo Prieto, Adolfo Ruiz Calleja
Iga tudeng valib ühe juhtimiaruande haridustehnoloogia rakendamise kohta klassiruumis, väljaspool klassiruumi või kutsealases õppes. Need valitakse kursuse alguses.
Each student will select one case report about the application of an educational technology for classroom, out of the classroom or professional learning. These will be selected at the beginning of the course.
Lang, Siemens, Wise, Gašević (2017). Handbook of Learning Analytics. Society for Learning Analytics Research
Gašević, Dawson, Siemens (2015). Let’s not forget: Learning analytics are about learning. TechTrends, Springer.
Siemens, Baker (2012). Learning Analytics and Educational Data Mining: Towards Communication and Collaboration. ACM