Course title in Estonian
Õpetaja professioon ja professionaalne areng
Course title in English
Teaching Profession and Professional Development
lecturer of 2021/2022 Autumn semester
Merike Saar (language of instruction:English)
lecturer of 2021/2022 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
To create opportunities for
- understanding of teachers' professionalism and teachers' professional development;
- analysing and conceptualising learning communities of teachers;
- understanding the concept of teacher leadership, including ethical leadership and implementation of the concept of teacher leadership in educational organisations;
- teachers as researchers and creative professionals.
Brief description of the course
Teachers' professionalism. Professional learning communities, communities of practice. Teachers’ professional development. The teacher leadership. Teachers' collaboration. Workplace-based learning. Teacher as researcher, how to develop new teaching practices, evidence based teaching-learning.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to conceptualize the teaching profession through teacher professional development and teacher leadership as multifaceted matters relating to school and school development;
- is able to analyse how a school community supports teacher leadership and fosters teacher professional development using theoretical knowledge and evidence -based practices;
- is familiar with practices and tools for teacher professional development and leadership.
Study programmes containing that course