Course title in Estonian
Õppimine ja areng
Course title in English
Learning and Development
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2020/2021 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
To create opportunities for providing students with an overview of:
- neural mechanisms that drive learning and development;
- cognitive functions that underlie academic skills and subskills;
- the aspects which facilitate learning and development in different environments.
Brief description of the course
The processes which enable learning and development at different levels will be discussed. A consideration of the fundamental neural mechanisms that are responsible for memory formation and processing speed/capacity form the foundation in understanding how those mechanisms collaborate to produce cognition. How cognition- of how brain perceives and processes the sensory information in order to create a coherent understanding of the environment- as well as metacognition- being aware of one’s awareness- allow self-control and learning specific academic skills is relevant to understand, to come up with and successfully implement an educational innovation.
Reading the required literature, see course programme
Learning outcomes in the course
- Has an overview of the neural mechanisms that enable learning;
- Has acquired an understanding of how these mechanisms produce cognition;
- Knows which cognitive functions underlie the ability to perceive speech, learn to read and write, perceive quantities, operate with these quantities and perform complex abstract mental operations;
- Understand the role of metacognition in the process of learning.
- Knows how environment can either facilitate or inhibit development.