lecturer of 2023/2024 Autumn semester
Not opened for teaching. Click the study programme link below to see the nominal division schedule.
• To form an overview of the theoretical bases of technology and media and the possibilities of communication in the digital society.
• To help achieve readiness to make sense of digital technologies and digital media, their role in culture and society.
• To enable the acquisition of the necessary knowledge and practical skills to analyze the social, historical and cultural development of technology and media in society.
• To create preconditions for understanding the development trends of digital technology, the resulting opportunities and challenges in society.
Brief description of the course
Õppeaine sisu lühikirjeldus
(inglise k.) Philosophy of technology: Philosophical schools (instrumentalism, determinism, substantivism, critical theory), socio-cultural development of technology.
Technology and human: Human interaction with technology, models of technology appropriation and acceptance, perspectives on transhumanism, prospects and dangers of artificial intelligence, ethical and moral aspects.
Digital society and digital media: The digital revolution, from mass communication to digital communication, media and technology communication theories, professional media vs. ubiquitous journalism, the digital society and digital inequality.
Data society: Development of information systems, digital ecosystems, national information policy, information systems and e-services, big data, data protection, digital storage institutions.
Digital citizen: Privacy vs. electronic tracking, technical dependence and identity, attention as a modern currency, authorship, copyright.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- has an overview of various theories and philosophical schools related to technology and media;
- can understand the role and impact of digital technology and media in culture and society;
- can analyze the social, historical and cultural development of technology and media in society;
- knows the development trends of digital technology, the opportunities and challenges arising from them;
- understands the ethical and moral dilemmas associated with digital technology and media;
- knows the developmental trends of digital technology, the opportunities and challenges related to them.;
- recognises the issues and opportunities related to artificial intellect.