The aim of the course is to give students basic knowledge about writing systems, grammar, vocabulary and simple sentence structures of Japanese language.
Brief description of the course
The course of Japanese language includes introduction to the writing systems, learning of Hiragana and Katakana alphabets and 72 Chinese characters. During the course students will learn the basics of Japanese grammar and composing of simple sentences. Students will learn to read and write short and simple texts (menu, postcard, message, note) that include simple grammatical structures. Also they will translate short and simple sentences into Estonian and Japanese language. Students will learn grammatical structures and vocabulary that enable them to talk about their person, family, and daily schedule. Students will learn the vocabulary, expressions and grammar that are used in simple practical situations (diner, shop, telling the way, asking permission, making proposal etc.), in giving information about his or her identity (introducing himself, age, ethnicity) and other information (describing the appearance of another person, telling the time, greeting, etc.). Students are expected to actively participate in all language classes and do their homework by the deadline.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- knows the Japanese writing system;
- is able to read and write Hiragana, Katakana, and 72 Chinese characters, and knows the vocabulary related to these characters;
- is able to understand and compose simple and short sentences that use the grammar and vocabulary learned during classes;
- is able to read and write a short text (memo, daily schedule);
- is able to understand and answer simple questions concerning his person.