Course title in Estonian
Briti kirjandus renessansist tänapäevani
Course title in English
British Literature from the Renaissance to the Present Day
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
Getting acquainted with main periods and key names in British literature from the 15th century to the present day.
Brief description of the course
Most important periods and literary methods: Renaissance and Shakeaspere’s oeuvre; neo-classicism; Romanticism, Realism, Decadence; Modernism; Postwar British literature; Existentialism; trends and contradictions of the 1960s-70s; postmodernism, feminism; British litearuture of the 1980s: the problem of history, metafiction, postcolonial discourse; identity studies, trauma studies, ecocriticism. Main characteristics and names of the particular period.
Study methods: lecture, seminar, free discussion, group work, multimedia e-lecture, portfolio.
Reading theoretical and fictional texts from the list of compulsory literature. Watching video material. Writing essays (Moodle portfolio). Preparation for seminars and exam.
Learning outcomes in the course
The idea of history of British literature, as well as main literary methods with a focus on peculiarities of British literature. Knowledge of main methods, tendencies and themes in 20th century British literature, up to the present day. The ability to place literary material in a wider context.
Exam: written test on theory; essays on obligatory literature.
Dotsent Julia Tofantšuk
8 raamatut alljärgnevatest:/ 8 books from the list:
1. W. Shakespeare. Julius Caesar; Hamlet; Twelfth Night
2. G. G. Byron. Don Juan
3. J. Austen. Pride and Prejudice; Sense and Sensibility
4. Ch. Dickens. Great Expectations.
5. Wilde. The Picture of Dorian Gray.
6. Th. Hardy. Tess of the D' Urbervilles,
7. Jude the Obscure.
8. J. Galsworthy. The Man of Property
9. HG Wells. The Invisible Man
10. DH Lawrence. Sons and Lovers;
11. James Joyce. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
12. V. Woolf. Mrs Dalloway või To the Lighthouse;
13. G. Greene. The Quiet American
14. W. Golding. Lord of the Flies.
15. A. Carter. Love või Nights at the Circus.
16. S. Rushdie. Midnight’s Children.
17. D.M. Thomas. The White Hotel.
18. Graham Swift. Waterland.
19. J. Winterson. The Passion või The Powerbook
20. AS Byatt. Possession või The Children’s Book
21. McEwan. The Cement Garden, A Child in Time või Solar.
22. M. Syal. Anita and Me või Life is not All Ha-ha-He
Abrams, M.H, Gen. Ed. The Norton Anthology of English Literature I-II. Seventh/eighth edition. New York: W.W. Norton. 1993 (6th ed.)/2000 (7th ed).
Cuddon, J.A. The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory. London: Penguin.
Boyce, Charles. The Wordsworth Dictionary of Shakespeare. NY: Wordsworth, 1990.
Childs, Peter. 2004., Contemporary Novelists: British Fiction Since 1970
Cuddon, J.A. The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory. London: Penguin, 1991.
Bradbury, Malcolm. The Modern British Novel. 1878-2000. Longon: Penguin, 2001.
British Fiction of the 1990s. Ed. Nick Bentley. Contemporary British Fiction (Paperback)
The Contemporary British Novel: From John Fowles to Zadie Smith. by Philip Tew.; ,
Additional material provided by the lecturer (Moodle)
Multimedia lectures and links to video material.