Course title in Estonian
Hiina ärikeel ja kultuur II
Course title in English
Chinese Business Language and Culture II
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2020/2021 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The course is designed for learners who have just begun leaning basic Chinese. The course helps students to develop basic listening and speaking skills in Mandarin Chinese and conduct the basic conversation in business activities.
Brief description of the course
During the course students will be introduced to fundamental vocabulary, grammar, speaking skills, and useful business cultural traits that will allow them to communicate appropriately in most common business situations. For example: useful expressions to express praise for someone’s success, for bidding farewell, good wishes, to make appointment...,etc. In addition to the language learning, a wide range of knowledge on Chinese business custom and rules, business etiquette, as well as Cultural differences & sensitivities will be introduced.
The course consists of 45 hours of independent practice after class. The students are expected to practice new words and expressions learned in class, recite the sentence patterns, and complete the exercises the teacher gives after each topic taught in the class.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon successful completion of this course the student:
• is able to use basic and necessary Chinese expressions for daily commercial communication
• knows and is able to use polite expressions in social intercourse (such as bidding farewell, introducing one’s company, expressing commentary marks and good wishes)
• understands and is able to use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases for shopping, traveling, bus ridding, telephoning and appointment making.
• understands Chinese business custom and rules, business etiquette, as well as Cultural differences & sensitivities (such as Chinese modesty, privacy, precedence and courtesy, gift giving and exchanging)
• has improved competence for cross-cultural communication with Chinese partners.
Student is expected to actively participate in all classes.
A written test (75%) and spoken test (25%) in the end of term.
CIC6028.CI Chinese Business Language and Culture or has equivalent level of HSK 1 (HSK is official Chinese Language level test for foreigners).