Course title in Estonian
Hiina ärikeel ja kultuur
Course title in English
Chinese Business Language and Culture
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2020/2021 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2020/2021 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The course is designed for learners without previous knowledge of Chinese language who intend to use Chinese language in business settings. The course helps students to develop basic listening and speaking skills in Mandarin Chinese and conduct the most basic conversation in business activities.
Brief description of the course
This is an elementary Chinese language and business culture course designed for students with little or no exposure to the Mandarin Chinese language. The materials used in the course are in the Roman spelling system (Pinyin). Students will be introduced to Chinese phonetic alphabet system, fundamental vocabulary, grammar, speaking skills, and useful business cultural traits that will allow them to communicate appropriately in most common situations. Students are exposed to basic and tailored topics and sentence patterns by engaging in simple conversations with grammatical and business cultural explanations. In addition to the language learning, a wide range of knowledge on Chinese business customs, rules and etiquette.
The course consists of 45 hours of independent practice after class. The students are expected to practice new words and expressions learned in class, recite the sentence patterns, and complete the exercises the teacher gives after each topic taught in the class.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon successful completion of this course, the student
• is able to pronounce correctly text written in Mandarin Chinese Pinyin
• knows and is able to correctly use very basic and necessary Chinese expressions for daily commercial communication and skills for polite social intercourse (such as greeting, introduction, apology and congratulation)
• understands and is able to use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type
• is able to interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help
• is able to recognize different situations developed in business conversation and communicates appropriately in Chinese environment
• has improved his competence for cross-cultural communication with Chinese partners.
Student is expected to actively participate in all classes.
A written test (75%) and spoken test (25%) in the end of term.
The course is a prerequisite