Course title in Estonian
Course title in English
lecturer of 2021/2022 Autumn semester
Heiki Lindpere (language of instruction:English)
lecturer of 2021/2022 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
To create possibility and develop students skills in understanding the theory and practice of maritime law, especially what concerns the acquisition and using of ships in international trade and carriage of passengers and related problems like liability of the carrier, salvage of property at sea and marine insurance.
Brief description of the course
The course focuses on the 13 topics provided subsequently down.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- satisfactorily oriented in international regulation of shipping law in particular and maritime law in general according to the following 13 topics;
- is able to identify which international instruments and typical contracts are preferably used in particular sector of the shipping business;
- is able to explain satisfactorily the reasoning of main paragraphs in the Bills of Lading and typical Charter Parties as well as in the international rules mentioned in the topic 6;
- differentiates well maritime liens and maritime claims and knows in theory what is essential and how to arrest a vessel;
- knows well the limitation of liability regulation issues of a shipowner or a carrier and is basically oriented in marine insurance.
Heiki Lindpere, Ph.D.
Study programmes containing that course