Course title in Estonian
Digitaalne säilitamine ja teabehaldus
Course title in English
Digital Preservation and Information Governance
lecturer of 2021/2022 Spring semester
Kädi Riismaa (language of instruction:Estonian)
lecturer of 2022/2023 Autumn semester
lecturer not assigned
- To create preconditions for acquiring knowledge on the specific features of archiving in electronic environment;
- To create prerequisites for obtaining knowledge on the basics of digital preservation;
- To support acquisition of basic skills on the preparation of digital information archiving;
- To create the basic knowledge of information governance.
Brief description of the course
Main issues in digital archiving and preservation.
Possibilities and development of methods of digital preservation.
Qualities of digital objects.
File formats in the digital archive.
Data carriers – requirements and solutions.
Types of digital objects and their qualities – practical approach.
Metadata for digital preservation.
Models of a digital archive.
Conceptualisation of digital preservation.
Digital archive in information organisation.
Introduction into the main concepts of information governance.
Processes and information governance. Standardisation and regulations of information governance.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- is able to explain the differences of digital archiving from archiving and preservation of paper materials;
- can critically evaluate different solutions and strategies of digital preservation;
- can justify the need and benefits of creating a digital archive in the organization;
- is able to identify the actions necessary for archiving and preservation of digital objects depending on the qualities of the object;
- demonstrates orientation in the types of metadata required for digital preservation;
- understands the principles of information governance;
- is able to use standards and regulations for information governance in an organisation.
Study programmes containing that course