Course title in Estonian
Infotehnoloogia eetilised, sotsiaalsed ja professionaalsed aspektid
Course title in English
Ethical, Social and Professional Aspects of Information Technology
approximate amount of contact lessons
lecturer of 2019/2020 Autumn semester
õppejõud on määramata
lecturer of 2019/2020 Spring semester
lecturer not assigned
The main objectives of the course are to present the wider social aspects and influence of the information technology on other spheres of society (education, legislation, business etc) as well as to develop related deportments among students.
Brief description of the course
Historical overview of IT and Internet. Information society and new media. Intellectual property vs Free Culture. Software licensing. Censorship and privacy in networks. Professionalism in IT. IT risks and ergonomics. Network security and threats. Specific traits of networked communication. Hackers: history and technoculture. Networked communities. Example of a community project: Linux. Alternative IT: assistive technology for people with disabilities.
* weekly blogging tasks on the week's topic
* forum discussions
* participation in the weekly chat session (Skype or some other channel).
In case of single participants (i.e. outside the ordinary course
schedule), tasks will be different due to collaboration being
Learning outcomes in the course
• students acknowledge the wider social contexts of IT and have developed related deportments:
• students know the history and culture of IT, are able to analyse its present state and propose possible scenarios for future;
• students know legal regulations for software and network content (copyright, licensing models etc);
• students are aware of ethical problems related to IT;
• students are familiar with criteria of professionalism in IT;
• students are able to use social software tools in e-learning (by practical work).
weekly blog reflections – approx 44 points (11*4)
forum discussions – approx. 33 points (11*3)
review – approx. 10 points (5+5)
Exam approx.40 points
Puudub, vt asenduskirjandust, mille loetelu pole lõplik ja võib muutuda.
Puudub, vt asenduskirjandus
Täielik nimekiri (NB! Sealt võib teha sobiva valiku) asub aadressil http://wiki.kakupesa.net/index.php/The_Playful_Cleverness_Reading_List