Course title in Estonian
Aktiivne akadeemiline lugemine ja kirjutamine
Course title in English
Active Academic Reading and Writing
lecturer of 2023/2024 Autumn semester
Abiodun Afolayan Ogunyemi (language of instruction:English)
lecturer of 2023/2024 Spring semester
Not opened for teaching. Click the study programme link below to see the nominal division schedule.
The goals of the active academic reading and writing course are to address known problems associated with academic paper reading and writing, and to help students to master the art of critical reading of academic papers, producing and reviewing pieces of literature in their chosen fields.
Brief description of the course
The course helps students to build up skills to conduct a well-synthesized, concept-centric literature review. The course guides students to conduct literature reviews based on a set of academic papers collected.
The components are:
- identifying philosophical assumptions such as ontology and epistemology and the theoretical foundation by examining the use of theories, frameworks, or models used and studying their relevance and adequacy;
- examining the adequacy and appropriateness methodological approaches, writing style, organization and structure of such papers;
- providing a well-concise summary of a given academic paper.
Mastering organisation and structure of an academic paper.
Learning outcomes in the course
Upon completing the course the student:
- reads academic papers critically and with reflection;
- writes reviews on given academic papers;
- writes an academic paper based on theoretical review of the literature on analysis of empirical research.
Abiodun Afolayan Ogunyemi
Study programmes containing that course