Study programme code
Study programme administrator
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
Poliitika ja valitsemine
study programme title in Engl.
Politics, Policy and Governance
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Poliitikateadus ja kodanikuõpetus
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Bachelor´s Degree, Diploma of Professional Higher Education or a corresponding qualification in social sciences (including politics, show more...
governance, law, economics, business, management, communication, sociology and social work). Similar qualification in other fields if complemented by a considerable practical experience in politics, policy and/or governance. English proficiency at least at level B2 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages. Positive passing of the entrance exam. Entrance examination: written letter of motivation and oral interview.
Entrance exam: written motivation letter and oral interview.
Study programme aims and objectives
- to support the development of academic excellence, competence and critical, analytical and creative thinking in politics, policy and governance;
- to create the conditions for the acquisition of competencies for positions that require knowledge of politics, policy and governance;
- to contribute to the development of an in-depth understanding of selected sections of politics, policy and governance by enabling research and analysis to be planned and evaluated and to be used and applied in a context-aware way;
- to contribute to the completion of the master's thesis and to create preconditions for continuing studies in doctoral studies;
- to create preconditions for the development of officials with timely knowledge and skills who are able to work effectively in the international system in both Estonian and European governmental structures and international organizations, as well as managers and experts in other sectors.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- is familiar with the basic concepts and approaches of different fields of politics, policy and governance studies and understands the corresponding theoretical discussions show more...
- has a deep understanding of the functioning of different levels of politics, policy and governance and the interrelationships between the institutions, the interaction between the institutions and the citizens
- is able to independently find and delimit the problems of politics, policy and governance, and the means of their interpretation and analysis
- is able to design and systematize sets of empirical data in order to solve a research task, and to independently prepare and conduct small-scale scientific and applied research on selected politics, policy and governance issues
- has competencies to work in positions requiring knowledge of politics, policy and governance, and to continue in doctoral studies both in Estonia and in other countries
In order to graduate, the student shall complete the study programme in the given volume, show more...
which includes passing all compulsory courses and compiling and defending the Master’s thesis. International students must receive a positive result for course EKY6109.HT Estonian A1 and Estonian culture in order to fulfill the graduation requirements. The International student is a student without Estonian citizenship, long-term residence permit or permanent right of residence.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits