Study programme code
Study programme administrator
MER study programme code
Study programme version code
School / college
YK - School of Governance, Law and Society
Study programme title in Est.
study programme title in Engl.
Language of instruction
en: Sotsiaalteadused, ajakirjandus ja teave
Study programme group
Study programme subgroup
en: Sotsiaal- ja käitumisteadused, mujal liigitamata
Nominal study period (in semesters)
Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Certificate of Vocational Secondary Education or a corresponding qualification giving access to higher education.
State exams: 3 exams on applicant’s choice;
Admission quota: 60 points.
Admission requirements for international applicants:
General secondary education or equivalent qualification;
Entrance exams: motivation letter and interview with the admission committee.
Study programme aims and objectives
Create preconditions for the formation of extensive knowledge and implementation skills in the social sciences;
Create a systematic knowledge of the theoretical framework, research directions and methods of the social sciences,
Create the ability to orient in the literature in the social sciences, find the necessary information and give it a critical evaluation;
Create the prerequisites to ensure that students can continue their studies at Master's level under their chosen professions or work in positions requiring extensive social and special (social work, sociology, social psychology and psychology of advertising) knowledge and skills;
Offer students who do not speak Estonian, along with the opportunity to study in the speciality, possibility to learn the Estonian language at a level which would allow to continue their studies at Master's level in Estonian.
Learning outcomes of the study programme
- has acquired extensive knowledge and skills in the field of social sciences in accordance with personal choice in the curriculum (social work, show more...
sociology, social psychology and psychology of advertising)
- is able to combine the learned theoretical knowledge and practical skills
- can make a critical evaluation of literature in the social sciences and defend their point of view
- is able to carry out a scientific research in the social sciences and to present the results of their research
- can identify the need for further training and professional development, has the prerequisites to continue the studies at the Master's level or find employment requiring extensive and specialised knowledge and skills in the social sciences (social work, sociology, social psychology and psychology of advertising)
In order to graduate a student has to fulfill the curriculum, show more...
to pass the compulsory subjects and to write and defend the thesis or pass the final examination (if a module gives the opportunity to graduate with the examination) (since KKSB/11 version). The curriculum sets out the conditions for graduation: C1 level of professional proficiency in Estonian, one foreign language at B2 level according to the European Language Portfolio, the necessary computer skills to university level.
Study programme version structure:
total ECTS credits